Drawing conclusions

Fact or fiction

I will repeat the question I posed in the first article: If we (Pete and I) hadn’t been exposed to Christianity at a young age, if we encountered it instead now, would we be convinced it is true?  What this really asks for is the objective evidence for Christianity.  These articles have explored this from every angle I could think of.  (I do wonder if people are going to skip right to this article to just get to the bottom line.  Not much of what follows will have any context if that is the case.)

There are two broad possibilities regarding Christianity.  It is either true or it is a fiction created by man.  What would a fiction look like?  Well, all one has to do is consider other religions that we know to be so (you can fill in your own blank here).  Here are some characteristics one would expect of its writings and followers:

  • They would be limited by whatever knowledge was available at their time, perhaps containing ideas we now know to be wrong.

  • They would reflect the morality of their time.

  • Over enough time, teachings would not remain consistent, in part because of the prior two points.

  • Stories would not be historically accurate.

  • Claims of power and miracles would not be demonstrable.

  • Predictions would be hit or miss, particularly regarding the end of the world.

Everything in my research was to find those things about Christianity that do not fit these characteristics.  Those things would be the evidence that it is true.

Being true has a wide spectrum of possibilities, though.  One extreme is that everything aside from prophetic symbolism would be literally true and absolutely correct.  And the prophecies would be fully correct too if their symbolism were understood.  The other extreme is that most of the supernatural stories are metaphorical, and that the writings were produced by men and are no more perfect than any other writings.  Nonetheless, they broadly capture essential truths, in particular about Jesus’ death and resurrection.  (In theory, there is one more step to go in that direction, that all of the supernatural elements are metaphorical, including the resurrection and even God.  Only the moral teachings would matter.  But at that point, it is no longer a religion, but rather a philosophy.)

As I moved through the different areas of research, I continued to eliminate possibilities on that spectrum.  If you’ve read all the preceding articles, it should be no surprise when I say I eliminated all the possibilities.  I found no evidence that broke the pattern of a fictional religion.

This is not what I set out to do nor what I expected.  Like a courtroom trial, any number of hypotheses can be considered, but one of them will fit the evidence the best.  I expected to find some evidence that supported Christianity and some that didn’t, things I wouldn’t like.  It was a matter of how much and what, not if.  But I cannot convince myself I found something just because that is what I wanted.

I do not want to be ambiguous about my conclusions, so let me be explicit.  I no longer have any reason to believe in Christianity, in any of its forms, so I no longer do.  Nor do I have any reason to believe any other religion either, because there is no evidence for modern miracles, regardless of religion.  I don’t see evidence for God, but I can’t say there isn’t one.  Maybe that makes me an agnostic.

Faith

I can hear the response already: I just need to have faith.  Perhaps.  But why?  If I am choosing to have faith in Christianity without any basis, why not something else?  Why not Islam or Buddhism or Hinduism?

Pascal’s wager

Pascal’s wager essentially states that it is much better to live as if God exists and be wrong than to live as if He does not and be wrong.  Because of the relative consequences, logically one should live as if God exists.

This argument is all well and good if there is only one possible way to live to please God.  But various forms of Christianity have different dictates, and other religions have other ways altogether.  There is no way to live that covers all the situations.  One cannot play it safe and meet the requirements of both Christianity and Islam, for example.  I still would need a basis to decide which belief system is more likely to be right.

Moderation

Some may ask why I didn’t just adopt a more moderate view of Christianity.  Instead of going through all this, why not just accept what I could and treat the rest as metaphorical?  Indeed, there is a very modern style of Christianity that many people hold, that seems to me to boil down to this:

  • Much of the Bible is a reflection of the times it was written in and is not relevant today.

  • Some of Jesus’ teachings are relevant though, particularly the Golden Rule.

  • Most of the supernatural aspects of the Bible are meant to be understood metaphorically.

  • However, the parts about Jesus’ resurrection and people going to heaven are not a metaphor.

  • Good people go to heaven.

  • The line that determines what is good enough is not clear.  But I know that I am safely above that line, as are most of my friends and family.  Hitler is well below the line.

The result is definitely something that would be easy enough to follow.  One rarely, if ever, has to take any stance that stands out as weird or deny oneself from what most everyone else is doing.  In practical terms, it is basically the same as a non-Christian life, just with fire insurance.

There is one massive fly in the ointment, however.  If 95% of what the Bible says is not to be taken at face value for one reason or another, how do we know that last bit about going to heaven is?  Me, I would not be able to just accept that part without some evidence.  And once one begins investigating that, it ripples outward to the rest of the Bible.  Jesus and Christianity did not occur in a vacuum, but builds on what came before it.

In the end, though this moderate view works for many, it wouldn’t work for me.

Why do this?

At any point in this, I could have stopped.  Once I reached the end of my research, I could have kept it all to myself.  There are many people that actually find themselves in the same place I am, but they just don’t say anything because they don’t want to deal with the fallout.  But that is not me though.  I am not going to pretend to be something I am not, and I want my friends to know where I am at in life.  I am not naively doing this, however.  As far as I am concerned, my friends are still my friends, but I know there will be fallout.  I just don’t know how extensive it will be.

Another reason is the admittedly dim hope that someone will point out something I have missed.

This was also cathartic.  I had to work through years of belief and justifications as I was wrestling with this.  On some level it was a relief to resolve some long-standing puzzles and tensions.

There is also an element of penance in this.  After spending years advancing the Christian cause in my own small way, encouraging others in their Christian belief, it seems right that I would provide a counterpoint.  Maybe some people will at least give some serious consideration as to why they believe what they do.

Slander

I have no doubt that what I’ve written will be unsettling to some Christians.  And I know that the reflexive response for some will be to attack me in order to make peace with their theology.  I am going to try and head off the two main attacks, but I also suspect it might not matter.  If these following views are the only way you can make peace with any of this, so be it, but keep it to yourself.  I have no desire to hear it.

Never saved

The “once saved, always saved” school of thought tends to have one way of explaining people like me: I must have actually never been saved.  This is Must Be True thinking in the extreme.  Because their theology cannot recognize that someone who has embraced Christianity would then reject it, the only way they can rationalize the situation is to cast that person as a fraud.  This view breaks down into two possibilities, both insulting.

One is that this was intentional on my part.  I stood to gain nothing from this, so I expect this is not the way people will run with this.  It is not like I was making money as a faith healer or something.

The other is that this was unintentional.  Though I went to church and whatnot, I never really, truly, deep down believed.  I thought I believed, but I was only going through the motions.  Anyone who knows me well, though, should know that I have lived my life consistently to the best of my ability.  I am by no means perfect, but in all areas of my life I have made choices consistent with my faith, even if it cost me.  Socially, to be sure, but time and money too.  So my only response here (taken from something Chuck Smith said, actually) to someone who would make this accusation is that, after all this, if it can turn out that my faith is not genuine and I was therefore never saved, how do you know your faith won’t turn out to be not genuine?  “Not me; I really, truly know that I know that I know.”  Yeah, so did I.

Sin

I would hope that it is clear that I made a genuine and thorough examination of Christianity.  My goal was to anchor my faith, not wreck it.  Nonetheless, some people cannot grasp that anyone would reject Christianity on its own merits, so they have to question that person’s motivations.  Perhaps I set out to find reasons not to believe because  I wanted to be justified in leaving Christianity because I got tired of walking the straight and narrow.  In short, I wanted to sin.

First off, let me say there is no followup bombshell waiting, like I secretly have a gay lover or have been visiting prostitutes for years or something.  My life speaks for itself.  That aside, this whole idea is absurd.  Perhaps someone who didn’t want to change their life would not accept Christianity in the first place on that basis.  Perhaps.  But having lived with Christianity for years and years is altogether different.  Consider the peace and joy that comes from knowing that life will go on forever, in a place vastly better than this one, with many of my friends and family there too.  Now imagine how it feels to have that all removed.  What sin could possibly be worth that?  Not to mention my concrete is pretty well set at this point.  I’m 51 years old, having lived as a Christian since a teenager.  It is not like I am going to start hitting the clubs now.

Realistically, if sin was my motivation here, I would just do what many other Christians do.  Go ahead and sin, making excuses for it instead of throwing away my entire belief system and potentially wrecking my social life in the process.

Late in the game

One might ask why it took me so long to figure this out.  If it is so clear to me now that Christianity isn’t true, why didn’t I see it a lot sooner?

It all comes down to axioms.  Every system of thought, be it philosophy or mathematics, has to have a starting set of assumptions that are just taken to be true.  For example, one of the axioms in math is that a + b is the same as b + a.  Math builds on those axioms to then rigorously prove everything else found in math.  If you start with different axioms, you will end up with a different system.  There are indeed other systems of math used by academics that do not behave like the math that most people know.

And so it goes with philosophy and religion.  If I take as axiomatic that God exists and the Bible is His inerrant communication to us, then I can build an entire worldview from that.  Even if that worldview conflicts with what I see around me, it must be correct, because it has been built up from those unquestioned, absolute starting points.

It is no coincidence that most people’s religious beliefs as an adult are dictated by whatever religious beliefs they were raised with.  Children in their formative years are taught things that they don’t have the experience to question.  Once those axioms are internalized as a youth, it can take a long time before someone questions them as an adult, if ever.

There are, of course, people that do accept religion as an adult.  But many times it is people coming back to something they had been exposed to previously.  The reality is that most people do not change their religions.  This study is dense, but Table 3 is the big takeaway.  In most countries, the conversion percent is in the low single digits.  The US has one of the highest percentages, but even that is somewhere between 12 and 16 percent.

For the people that do approach Christianity for the first time as an adult, church certainly doesn’t hit them with the hard stuff right away.  In my experience, people are told about heaven and the saving grace of Jesus.  It is all very hopeful and easy.  It is not until later, sometimes much later, that a person starts encountering the hard stuff.  But by then, the foundation has been laid, the axioms accepted, and they learn how to reconcile those things, usually from the people that have been there longer.

Honestly, if not for the last couple bizarre years, I probably would have never questioned my assumptions.  But once the axioms can no longer be accepted, it is like pulling out the bottom pieces in Jenga.  It all comes down.

What now

I don’t know.  Wait to see what the fallout is I guess.  I have researched all I can, that much I know.  But I am certainly willing to talk with any of my friends that want to discuss any of this.  Beyond that, it is too soon to know or really consider in any depth what my life will look like now.

So that is it for my articles, but there is one from Pete that summarizes his take on all of this.


Next article: Pete's conclusions


Comments

  1. Thanks again for your integrity in sharing where you're at. At some point, as time allows, I'd like to put together and send you a more comprehensive response. For now, in summary, I'll make the following analysis, and you can tell me if you think it's fair: There's a deference to academia in many of your conclusions. So, in a sense, that is where your faith lies in answering many of the questions we can't clearly observe on our own. The academic ecosystem has an orthodoxy of naturalism, be it paleontology, archeology, or liberal biblical criticism. So any appeal to the experts will automatically disqualify support for a supernatural conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for taking the time to thoughtfully read all this. Your comment takes me back to the premises laid out in the first article. Most academics make an effort to not taint their conclusions with their expectations, for the same reason you wouldn't want a judge ruling on a case where they already believe the defendant is guilty before the case begins. Academics do not have a bias against Zeus. There is just no evidence that any of the stories about him are true. There is no sign of a divine residence on Mt Olympus, and we know how lightning works. And everyone is OK with this expert analysis, except for the people that take on faith that Zeus is real. It simply is not feasible for every person to examine and prove for themselves every facet of human knowledge. It is just too vast. When we start distrusting the expert consensus in favor of belief, we reach the madness we are seeing today, where literally any article of knowledge can be denied and any belief can be constructed accordingly (see: flat earthers and just about every Facebook post). But I should also add that the evidence does not need itself to be supernatural, and it undercuts this idea that naturalism is the problem. The claims of the plagues of Egypt are supernatural. The indirect evidence against that, however, is not: the fact that they remained a superpower, had no apparent economic consequence, etc. And as far as the Gospels are concerned, my conclusions were almost entirely based on the text itself. If Christianity is true, you should be able to look at it with the same skepticism you have for Islam and still be able to show evidence it is true. If the only way to get there is to accept the claims on faith, I can do that with virtually any belief system.

      Delete
  2. Bravo, Steve and Pete! This is such a in-depth and ambitious body of work. Thank you for the courage to share what will inevitably have large repercussions for your lives and community going forward.

    I made my journey away from Christianity over a number of years starting around 2006, so I'm many years apart from it now. Reading your articles really brought me back to all the doctrinal issues, the theodicies, and apologetics I wrestled with for so long.

    I hope that your community treats you amicably through this. My leaving was treated very respectfully (as far as I know); that wasn't always the case with my church though. If either of you feel the need, please reach out.

    If I have one bit of advice, I'd say beware the temptation of trying to convince others of your new point of view. (Anyone who knows me will know that I did not follow this advice myself.) As I was leaving Christianity, I felt an immense sort of euphoria, looking at the world, the universe even, with new eyes; filled with hope for new opportunities and perspectives, and sorrow for the years lost. If you are feeling the same, and I imagine you are, know that I and others are excited for you!

    For me, it all seemed so clear now! But I mistakenly thought that that clarity would be simple to communicate to those who still believed. With space and time, I realized that it must have been more than logic that changed me to see things -- really, arguments I was already familiar with -- in a new light. Had I come across your blog while I was a fully committed believer, I almost certainly would have explained it away somehow. Only when I was "ready" could I really appreciate the evidence. I guess it's not unlike the zeal of becoming a Christian in the first place. "He who has ears," and
    all that.

    The concept of changing people's minds is something I continue to think about a lot. Clearly, the state of the world is such that dissuading people of strongly held beliefs is becoming more and more crucial to society's survival. Hopefully your transition can give you and all of us some additional insight and hope for what is possible.

    Thanks again for your openness, and I would love to keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words and support Vic. I remember having lunch with you to discuss your decision to leave the faith. I was convinced it was a reaction to being in a fairly strict church, that you were projecting your problems with that experience onto Christianity as a whole. Funny how things work out.

      I am grateful that my community has indeed been supportive through this. I definitely understand the temptation you speak of. In some aspect, this blog is a way to channel that instinct. For those that wish to engage, they can. Those that do not can ignore it. I have not yet exposed this blog to Google searches, but I will at some point. It is my hope that anyone who is on a similar journey benefits from this. I am also seeing that belief does not change from accepting new ideas, but rather from letting go of the one critical idea that it is impossible to be wrong about ones beliefs. And that is something that no amount of words can convince a person of.

      I have been feeling many things, but I can't say euphoria is one of them. I've been so focused on this effort that I haven't spent much time yet processing what changes I'll need to make in my life, but that comes next. I'll certainly take you up on keeping in touch.

      Delete
    2. Haha! Oh man, I knew we talked but I forgot how far we got into it. Good times.

      Sounds good. Take care and I hope you continue to blog.

      Delete
    3. Oh man, the whole time I was reading this, I was thinking "Is Steve going to call Vic and say he was right all along?"

      Vic, we should talk too. I'm not as good as blogging as Steve and Pete.

      Delete
  3. Well, Steve, prolix this is. Thank you for your thoughts. Your facts are solid and parallel to a lot of research I am also doing. I think we differ a bit in "What do we do with this?" But something to talk about in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Wait, what? Now I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The search for Christianity

Biblical contradictions

Morality and the existence of God